Welcome

Welcome Lighthouse students to The Fishing Project. This is a new project that we would love for you to be involved in! Want to know more about it? Check out the "Information + Reason" page link posted below!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 1

Day One

September 2, 2010

Well, I cheated. Today was technically the first day of school, but I didn't go. However, God is God and He doesn't have to follow rules, He creates them. So God started using my presence to share the gospel in TJ before the school year began. How can this happen, you ask? It's called "Band Camp." I'm not a nerd, but I do play flute and TJ band wants to march this year at our football games. Before school started we had band camp for four days from 9-1. I wish my parents would have let me slept in, but God had a purpose for it nonetheless.

At band camp, even though I only knew two people, I didn't let my uncomfortableness get in the way of me being me. Before I knew it I was talking to the people around me about how I got a black eye, which led to talking about our youth group Montana trip, which led to talking about my faith in Jesus Christ. Most of the kids kept their focus on how I gave a bloody nose and got a black eye on a mission trip, but one kid went further. He told me about how he read the whole Bible, was raised as a Protestant, and we talked about religion on the second day of band camp. Yes, we had some differences of opinion. Yes, I used scripture to back up my way of thinking. No, he didn't have in-depth explanations for everything he believed. Yes, God had a plan for band camp.

By the end of that practice I had given him my phone number and we had a texting conversation that lasted the next three days and then off and on until school officially started. You can use anything, even texting, to share the gospel! I got to go through the bracelet with him, what my purpose in life is, a bit about who Jesus was, and just got to know the kid I met... at band camp. He told me about his life and I was there to listen. I made sure to invite him to youth group where there are people way more suited to answer his questions and help him through hard times. God definitely had a reason for sending me to band camp whether I wanted to go or not.

Romans 13:12;

"The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put on the armor of light."

1 Peter 3:15;

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"

No comments:

Post a Comment