Welcome

Welcome Lighthouse students to The Fishing Project. This is a new project that we would love for you to be involved in! Want to know more about it? Check out the "Information + Reason" page link posted below!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 3

Day Three

September 7, 2010

It's official- Tuesday is my favorite day of the week. I don't have math class or chemistry, I spend most of my classes with one of my best friends, and I have youth group after school. I can invite my classmates to youth group!

I was in English today and I have to admit, the girls sitting around me were kind of scary looking. They had on heavy makeup, some dyed their hair unusual colors, and I heard foul language. Each girl finished, or almost finished, their project, but they would say things like, "Wow! Mine looks bad", or try to switch projects with someone else. These were not people I was used to hanging around. They were really intimidating to me. Then I got to thinking... I was prejudging these people! I took how they look and began using that to assume their character. I knew nothing about them besides a few bad words. I prayed a quick prayer that God would help me make friends with them. By the end of the class I had invited everyone around me to a concert at Youth Group tonight. One girl had called her mom. We started talking and I found out that the one who called her mom actually goes to church and listens to bands I know, like Hillsong and Skillet. We talked more about church and God and our youth group. Her mom wouldn't let her come tonight, but I didn't want her to lose interest. I mentioned my previous boyfriend, Blake, and let it slip that he died a few months ago. (I forgot to tell her that he was a $2 doll I got at Claire's.) I told her that if she wants to know how Blake died, she has to find a way to come to youth group! That motivates her. THEN, once I knew she wants to come, I told her about how the best way to get parental permission is by respecting your parents. I mentioned how she probably wouldn't be able to pull that off. THAT got her motivated to prove me wrong. Some people might not agree with my tactic, but it works!

Throughout the day I wasn't able to start God-centered conversations in all of my classes, but I was able to spread God's love. This is so simple and absolutely everyone can do it! Say hello to people you know and just ask them how their day is- it's that easy! Let them know that you care. Smiling is one of my favorite things to do, too, and smiles are a quicker way to let someone know you care. Watch your actions, because if someone gets a bad impression of you they can create a bad image of Christians in general.

Philippians 2:3-4;

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

No comments:

Post a Comment